09 October 2010

finished

 
Finished splitting the first ton-truck-load of firewood today and am ready for the next delivery. Also finished the Khashoggi book, Mosaic, which I found to be sort of a chick-flick, sort of an Oprah book. Not that there's anything wrong with that, only that it surprised me that I flew through it in three days. Sort of like a luxurious soak in a tub, I guess it's something I need once in a while. I also have Eat, Pray, Love on hand, but I don't think I'm ready for that (two in a row, as it were); instead maybe I'll start Anne Rice's first vampire book, Interview With...? I don't remember which one it is.

What I should be reading is a schoolbook, but I've kind of lost enthusiasm for that. As someone told me recently, "five years from now, or ten, or twenty... are you going to think, 'damn, I wish I'd spent more time studying...'?" Not that I'm giving up on school, but "straight A's" is not the obsession it was six months ago.

Now that the firewood is done, maybe tomorrow I'll dig the potatoes & onions. Before it rains, which is due Monday or Tuesday. And Tuesday finally I'll get the front end aligned on the Merc. It shakes, rattles & rolls, and it's already starting to wear those two new tires. It would have been done before now, but my appointment a week ago Tuesday, they told me it needed a ball joint replaced. I believe them, because when th'neighbor replaced the left side he said the right would need it soon. Never mind that I suggested he do it at the same time. He wanted to save me money, LOL. Instead he's costing himself money; the job he would have done is now being done at a shop. Oh well!

After the firewood was done and the book was read (and, I admit it, I did look at the schoolwork for a few minutes... maybe ten or fifteen), I got busy clipping off catnip buds that have gone to seed. I feel like Scarlett O'Hara: I'll never be without catnip again! There's a tall trashcan full of "sticks," and a good gallon baggie of leaf/seed mix, all dry, which I'll have to sift through in the spring. Maybe I can edge the entire house with catnip plants. That should keep the mice away.

I finished a sock the other day, but I'm going to tink back the toe and make it an inch longer before I start on its mate. Yesterday in my laundry frenzy I washed a wool hat. It is now a child's wool hat. Friday I ordered a skein of "authentic, traditional, Highland wool," (from Oregon) from a Facebook ad that advertised, "free shipping, this week only!" I then got an email from the vendor saying, "Oh, I should have taken that ad down weeks ago... but I'll give you another skein at half price, or credit your account...?" I said I'd take the other skein at half price, assuming that was what my five bux shipping would go for. Which, eventually, it did.

No comments: