09 June 2008

brief everything update

We spent early May painting and reflooring half the house and now we're "destashing," to borrow a word from fiberholics. Both of us have tossed our closets a couple of times, weeding out more and more of the unused space-takers, and will continue to do so till there are open spaces everywhere. I have shredded and composted years worth of unnecessary paper. We have freecycled and goodwilled and passed on to family members furniture, furnishings, and books. Everyone's breathing easier, the house is easier to clean, things are easier to find and we're having more fun and more time to have fun in.

The garden looks good. This year it's closer to the house and already I can tell the weeds and rocks we made war on last year (organically: picking by hand) are not as persistent this year. The perennials all seem to have survived (maybe not the torch lilies), even the tiny yellow rose bush. We've cut back roses and apple trees. The yard looks better than it has in years.

The hummingbirds came in early May, and judging by early numbers it looks like we'll have more than ever.

Th'Mr is getting his health back and is back to work, with two separate projects going, and I'm looking into getting an advanced degree when my own work schedule calms down some. I love what I do, but some days I can really tell I'm not a kid anymore. The degree I'm looking into will get me out of the "bull work" of the trade and into the fine tuning: away from the mechanics of the operation and into the (climate controlled) control rooms. It's all good.

No comments: