11 October 2011

Dormancy

 
Frère Jacques, Frère Jacques
Dormez-vous? Dormez-vous?
Sonnez les matines. Sonnez les matines.
Ding Dang Dong. Ding Dang Dong.

I've known this rhyme, and its English translation (with the first two lines transposed), since early childhood.

Are you sleeping, are you sleeping
Brother John? Brother John?
Morning bells are ringing. Morning bells are ringing.
Ding dang dong. Ding dang dong.

What's always cracked me up --ever since I first started making sense of translations (for instance, instructions in English, French, German, Italian, Spanish that are included with most gadgets) in a word-by-word manner-- is "Dormez-vous," which I can't help but translate, "are you dormant?"

I've been dormant for too much of this vacation! I had good plans to continue to rise at 5 or 6AM and get things done! ...but I must be needing the sleep, I've lain dormant past 9AM every morning.

Today is study-day, devoted to the Fundamentals of Nursing book.

No comments: