18 January 2009

Inauguration eve day eve

Other than some brief cheers in early November I haven't said much on this blog about the past election and the coming inauguration. This is because I have not been able to find words to express all I feel. I'll try...

I am so pleased, proud, anxious (over the Obama family's safety), stunned, amazed, proud (did I mention proud?) and proud that we have elected this man to be our president.

He's smart, well-spoken, thoughtful, good looking, fit, smart, young, smart (did I mention smart?) got a beautiful family, got his head in the right place... and he's a black man! That's a super bonus! America, we have elected a black man to the highest office in this country, and not just because he's black, but because he's oh so qualified. (but he's black, too!)

I am 47 years old, six months eight days older than our president elect. In our lifetime so much change has come. I walk around with a goofy grin on my face whenever I think about how much has changed. I'm goofy-grinning now.

I am so pleased. My perception of how the rest of the world sees the United States of America has always been this: A huge, powerful, scary, wealthy nation, whose defining characteristic is ...are you ready for this? ...racism. Yes, a huge, powerful, wealthy, scary, racist nation. And we're on the road to redefining ourselves! That's so freakin' wonderful.

I am moved to tears. Over and over again, for the past three months, I have cried tears of joy and amazement.

That's where I am.

And I'm proud.

And amazed.





Our new first family.
< big happy sigh >

1 comment:

Jenny said...

It is for posts like this that I wish blogs have 'love' and 'agree' button like Ravelry does, becuase I would have hit both! In one of my history classes, one of the questions was 'What doe you think was the most important event in American history after 1985?' My answer 'That a black man was president-elect'.